Sunday, April 09, 2006

Holiday Mood - Why Chicago again ?











Ok I want to talk about Holiday's as I'm getting close to my first of the year.

People keep asking me why I am going back to Chicago as I went there 3 times last year.

Well the answers are simple:-

1. I have found the people I have met in this city really easy to get on with. This is important when traveling on your own.

2. I consider the City really clean for its size, not much litter or graffiti. It puts English Cities to shame.

3. I always feel safe in Chicago (again important in a strange city).

4. There is a decent live music scene. I love going to small live music venues to see local acts.

5. Plenty to see and do during the day. I have now seen most of the tourist attractions so I may change my opinion here. I like walking so the lake shore Parks and paths are always good.

6. The Public transport system is good and cheap. I usually get a 7 day pass at the airport and use it on trains and buses.

7. Easy to get to. My nearest International airport (Manchester) that does cross Atlantic flights as 4 per day to Chicago so you can usually find a decent deal.

8. Chicago is a busy airport so is easy to double up my holiday with another city, usually one I've never been to. (always looking for suggestions of new cities to visit). I have had 3 suggestions through this blog so far, Thanks Joel (Washington), Jenny (Savanah) & Rachel (Birmingham), I will be reading up and will consider adding these to my list.

Ok I may soon get bored with Chicago and go elsewhere but not yet it is a great place. The one down side is the Hotels can be expensive but if you are flexible with your dates you can normally get a deal.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Love the pics! I had friends that lived in Chicago and weren't enthralled. Then again, that far up North in the winter time would be hard on a Southerner, anyway.

Good food up there? Are you going to a Cubs or Bulls game?

I hope you have a safe trip.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
Your right about the winter I was in Chicago in December and the tempreture never got above freezing

BF,
Your right I think you get comfortable with a place. As I like visiting new cities its good to do a two centre holiday with the new place and somewhere I know I will like. This way you can't have a total disaster holiday.

Jenny said...

Chicago is a great city. I have been there a couple of times, and the city energy is fantastic. Definitely a good choice!

Joel said...

I have yet to make the trip out to Chicago, but it seems inevitable... somehow, for some reason, most of the people who read my blog are from there. plus Wrigley Field and the World Champion White Sox call it home... Nobody thinks of Chicago as a tourist spot but it has a lot of appeal.

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
I can't agree more it is a great city.

Dcnats,
Like you I never thought of Chicago as a vacation city it was a friend from work who suggested it to me. I'm pleased he did or I would have gone elsewhere. It pays to listen to people.

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

I love Chicago and wouldn't live anywhere else and I was born and raised in California. Anyone from a warm climate who can't stand the winter is a WIMP and they can HAVE their sunnier states. Wimps! I've been here 13 years and I plan to die happily in Chicago.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Mick & Cathy said...

Regina,
Chicago from what I have seen of various cities is a great choice to call home.

The next two weeks can't go quick enough I can't wait to visit and meet you.

This will not be my only visit I also intend to be in the City in early July for the "Taste of Chicago".

~Moi~ said...

Awsome!
I have been meaning to someday visit Chicago.. not just to be an audience member on Oprah ;P but to see the sights. Your pics are inspiring.

Mick & Cathy said...

Moi,
Get the vacation booked you will not regret visiting Chicago.