Thursday, April 13, 2006

But I like Americans

As the majority of people that read my blog are American I thought I would write this to see what they think.

In England from time to time people I come across who make the uneducated statement "I hate Americans". My answer is always the same "I like most of the American people I meet".
I usually follow this up with two questions "How many Americans have you met ?" and "Have you ever been to America?".
The answer to the first question is usually none or very few and the answer to the 2nd question is always no.
So ok why the ignorance ? Some people blame the wars in Iraq/Afganistan. Ok I don't normally comment on politics but isn't half our army there as well. Lets be fair no country in the world has been involved in more wars than us in our history, we can't criticise here.
Ok some newspapers slag off the American Goverment but don't the same papers slag off our Goverment.
So ok I ask about the Americans they have met and especially with some people at work it turns out the only Americans they know are through work. Now let me explain these Americans they meet are the bosses we are run by an American based group. If you ask these people they will also hate their English bosses it is a shop floor mentality.

In fact these arguments can go on for ever but the bottom line is "Don't judge people until you have met them". You cannot stereotype people.

Don't get me wrong I am not talking about the majority of English people just a ignorant minority who probably just about hate everyone that doesn't live down their street.
In fact most people I know like the real American people, I have yet to talk to anyone who as visited the States who criticises (they normally go back).
I personally believe us British have more in common with the Americans than nearer European countries (similar language, similar food, similar lifestyle, etc.).

Anyway I wrote this because I heard this statement today and it p****d me off. Back to holiday mode now and I am looking forward to making some more American friends in two weeks.

6 comments:

ArleneWKW said...

I'm glad that you like Americans since I am one. I guess, on this subject I'd say that, as a group, I think we're basically a pretty good bunch. I'm speaking now from a Northern California perspective and I was thinking mainly about how tolerant a people we tend to be. I don't know how this plays across the country.

But that's not why I stopped by here. I saw your post on Texas Girl's site and wanted to see what you look like. You are not ugly! I'm a married old lady so how you look is not relevant to the subject Texas Girl raised. But, you are definitely not ugly.

Jenny said...

We're glad you like us, because we like you!! I majored in French in college (I have a bachelors degree in it) and I lived in France for a year when I was 19-20. I loved the country and the people I met were friendly, kind and eager to learn about me, as I was eager to learn about them. However, whenever I mention France and the French in the US, I immediately get negative stereotypes and comments. Just as you said, these are people who have never met a Frenchman or been to France. I am a firm believer in making your judgments about people individually, not generically and based on experience, not popular opinion.

Cheers to you for bringing up an excellent point!

Mick & Cathy said...

Arlene,
Thanks for the comments. I've not yet ventured to California but I'm sure one day I will and find good people in that part of the world.

Jenny,
Yes its amazing how many people pre-judge people because of what their supposed to be like.
I find there are good and bad all over the world.
I love meeting new people and I make my own judgements by my own experiance.
I suppose its a bit like this blogging, I find I write to blogs that I think are nice people that I find interesting.

ArleneWKW said...

I was in Paris over 40 years ag. I tried to communicate in my rather pathetic French. I remember the people being nice to me.

ArleneWKW said...

Ooops, I should add, I didn't speak to "that many" French people, so it shows how I'm generalizing from just a few people which I guess is how stereotypes form in the first place.

Mick & Cathy said...

I was in Paris in 1975 for a football match, was in the middle of a riot, got attacked by a maniac with a knife but I don't hold it against French people.
I wrote this story on my blog in March look it up.