Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Great result but I thought we were down but !

I have just looked at the final results from Sunday's Yorkshire league Table Tennis matches (see blog 7th April Relegation battle) and I can't believe it.

I was playing for York and we started the day on 3 points along with Dewsbury, Keighley and Halifax with Hull "2" just one point better off. It was always going to be difficult to avoid relegation as we only had 2 matches when all the teams level had 3 to play. We had top of the table Bradford first up and they had won all their matches. Things got worse when our other opponents Dewsbury (the one we expected to win) turned up with two new top quality players. We thought shit we are in trouble.
We lost the toss against Bradford so had to nominate our team first, Bradford decided to go man for man in the first 3 games their No1 against ours No2 versus No2 etc. The aim of this was to break our resistance early, however the plan backfired. Remember I am our top ranked player and the Bradford No3 is ranked higher than me.
First game on our number two Brian played brilliant winning in 5 sets.
I was on next against there top player a man who I have not beaten for years but I got off to a flyer taking the first two sets, he fought back to two apiece but I manged to scrape home in the decider. Two nil York soon became three nil when our third player Richard played brilliantly to win in straight sets. People at the venue couldn't believe what they were seeing.
I was on next and beat their number 2 easily (4-0), then it was the doubles me and Brian always fancy our chances, yes 5-0.
Brian sealed the match and 2 points at 6-0 beating there No3 before bradford pulled one back when Richard lost to their top player. I scored a personel maximum beating their no3 before Bradford won the remaining games. 7-3 win we were happy they were not.
In this round of matches the newly strengthend Dewsbury won 10-0 against Hull"2" and Halifax beat Keighley 6-4. Situation at bottom York, Dewsbury & Halifax 5 points, Hull"2" 4 points and Keighley 3 points.
Now after lunch my injured ankle had swelled up and was painfull, this didn't help as Dewsbury raced to a 4-0 lead, I lost my opening two matches one I had no chance he was too good but the other was dissapointing against a player I normally beat.
We were in trouble again but a great doubles pulled us a set back before Dewsbury sealed the match at 6-1 with the next two singles.
Things were looking desperate we needed sets to have the slightest chance of survival and rallied well with myself and Brian taking our remaining games, Richard was unlucky losing in 5 sets.
It was now out of our hands although none of the other relegation candidates got any points. The last round of matches, Dewsbury were safe, Keighley and Hull "2" played each other and a result for either team would see them overtake us (a draw would relegate both). Halifax were also below us needing a draw as they faced Doncaster who had a weakend team (we couldn't see Doncaster winning this) .
Anyway we didn't stay to watch despite a magnificent performance against Bradford we were resigned to relegation totally dissapointed.

Today I have just built up the nerve to look on the Yorkshire web site to confirm my fears and I am Gobsmacked.

Keighley 6 - 4 Hull"2"

Doncaster 6-4 Halifax

Hull and Halifax Relegated.

http://www.ytta.co.uk/Yorkshire%20Files/Weekly%20Results%202005-2006%20Div%201%20Vets.pdf

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Still sounds like you played very well! I didn't realise it was so competitive!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
It is very competitive at county league level. There is about 20 local town/city leagues in Yorkshire and these teams are made up of the best players from each town.
I love any competitive sport but Table Tennis is by far my strongest, I have played since 14 years old.