Sunday, September 16, 2007

Last Night in Philly

Well tonight is my last night here before moving on to Atlanta in the morning. I usually find Sundays are quiet in American Cities but you never know. Philly is a strange place I haven't really found a music scene and the nightlife seems to be a mix of posh restaurants and quite rough bars with not a lot in between. Saying that the food is good but I do miss live music.
I reckon five days is about the right amount of time to see most of what you want, I don't think I've missed much of importance. The City has a few rough areas and you have to keep your wits about you, a young lady and her boyfriend that were staying at my hotel were robbed at knife point just two blocks away, the lady had the straps of her handbag cut. Saying that its a matter of turning right outside the hotel and it seems safe, turn left and it seems to have a few shady charactors about.
I did mention there is no live music and I'm maybe a bit unfair there was a music festival near the river at Pens Landing yesterday playing the areas traditional style, you know Chicago & New Orleans has Blues or Jazz, Nashville has Country, Detroit has Motown and of course Philly has "DooWop", yes I attended my first DooWop festival.
Today s a big Mexican day at the same spot with a lot of traditional entertainers, I've just been and to be honest found a lot of it a bit boring, at least they were giving out some free food samples.
Hopfully I can get on linein Atlanta to keep everyone up to date, I'll see. I'll be staying in Midtown Atlanta until Friday then moving to Buckhead, I'm looking forward to exploring another new city.

Did I mention I enjoyed having a Philly Cheesesteak, lovely it was.

5 comments:

Meow Meow said...

I am glad your flight was safe and that you made it here to the states in one piece.

Good to know you are enjoying the Philly Cheese steak as well.

See you soon!

Unknown said...

Will be good to see some pics! Gald you are having a good trip, even if the music scene isn't as good as you would like.

ArleneWKW said...

Not a good music scene. DeeWop, the "traditional style." I guess I'll be headed back to Nashville and New Orleans before I go to Philly.

Anonymous said...

hey, hope you enjoyed your last night.

what is a philly cheese steak??

can't wait for pics!

sorry i haven't been commenting on time, although i've caught up now. haven't had access and it's been chaos!

i'm thinking i'm more productive at work with out it but hey, i need to catch up on what my blogger pals are doing!

take care, enjoy Atlanta!
x

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
Yes still in one piece, Philly Cheesesteak was good.
See you Friday.

Tex,
Still having fun, must get to Texas on one visit soon though.

Arlene,
Yes when it comes to music Philly was dissapointing.

San,
Philly Cheesesteak is thin strips of Beef with melted Cheese in a large breadroll with Onions & Peppers, very tasty I'll add.