Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hello from Philly

Just a note to let all my friends know I'm here safe in Philadelphia, the weather is sunny and just under 80F I've walked a fair distance today inding my way around. Got my photo took in front of a statue of the most famous American ever, yes I found the "Rocky" satue, even ran up them steps he does in the film.

My hotel is good, nice room, comfy bed, free breakfast and a happy 2 hours from 5pm to 7pm where draft beer is only $2 per pint. A couple of problems its full of a bus load of Austrians and a more arrogant & ignorant bunch you would find hard to meet, I can see me fall out with them soon, they just push in front of you at breakfast, dive into the lifts, hut doors in your face, expect to be served first at the bar, don't think the've heard of taking your turn. I suppose it is just south Germany so what would you expect.

Another problem is my hotel is slap bang between two main roads, to get anywhere you have to cross 6 lanes to Pens landing then over a footbridge across the roads so its a bit of a trek. The hotel does offer a courtesy bus to any sites within two mile but I've not used it yet.

I think I've been doing my diet no good at all, it started in my hotel at Manchester Airport, ok I'd had a meal and a few pints and was just thinking about bed when a Scottish bloke and his Girlfriend asked if they could sit at my table, well we got talking and one thing led to another and we drank a lot of beer.
As I was on my way back to my room I saw a pretty lady at the hotel vending machine, well I'll have to admit I couldn't resist soI did, yes I got a bar of chocolate from the vending machine (two actually beer makes me hungry).

I was a bit delicate in the morning but it was a buffet breakfast so I had the full monty, baccon, sausages, black pudding, beans, and a grilled tomato (so it was virtually vegetarian), I didn't hold back with the portions either.

I had a bit of a incident in the baggage queue at the airport, some women behind me was really impatient and kept pushing her trolley into my legs, I kept quiet for a while but in the end I turned around and told her a few choice words about not getting there any faster by ramming me with her trolley.

The flight was good, on time and I got sat next to a normal bloke so we had a bit of a chat which helped it pass, I always hope for a leggy blonde but usually get a nutter so I was quite happy. As far as airoplane food goes it was good, US Airways seem ok to me. I got my own telly with a choice of movies, I watched one but fell asleep it was that good, didn't recognise any of the actors so maybe it wasn't a good choice.

Anyway back to Philly I went out to a couple of Bars and got a meal in one, a lot of nightlife is close by so thats good, I'll try a few more tonight. I got a steak for my dinner it was tasty but not particular big to normal American standards and they skimped on the veg a bit plus only one onion ring (thats scandelous).

Tomorrow I'm planning to get the ferry across the Delaware River there are a few things to see over there, Saturday I think there are a few events on the river side at Pens Landing close to my hotel, they are setting up in preparation.

Take Care everyone I'll try update again before I leave Philly for Atlanta on Monday.

8 comments:

Suzy said...

Just don't get those Austrians mixed up with us Australians! ;-)

I downloaded the Rocky theme song as a ringtone for my DH!

Have fun xx

celtic_girl said...

When you said "most famous American" I'm thinking Paul Revere,George Washington perhaps, but LMAO when you said Rocky!!!!

Dont stress about the diet Mick, just have a good time.

Unknown said...

Hey Mick, LOL Rocky huh?? Well He was pretty famous for a while, but...where is he now? Just kidding, I don't think I could make it up those steps so good for you there!
Have fun and don't sweat the diet while on Vacation.

ArleneWKW said...

That's too bad about the Austrian tour group. Besides whatever stereotypical attitude they might have, I think people in groups sometimes think that being part of a herd entitles them to preferential treatment. Individually some of them might turn out to be nice people.

I hope your Atlanta hotel experience is better. Also, that you find Philly to be an otherwise nice place to visit.

Anonymous said...

Mick
AFter our recent experiences in Paris, you have my sympathies for having bumped into some europeans!!!
I am sorry to say they are rude, have no manners and think that queueing is only for the British and when you confront them they claim not to understand English. You are fortunate you don't have a child with you as you you just get to the point where you say forget all the manners we have taught you and just push in!!!

Moby Dick said...

dum-dum-da-da-dum-da-da-dum-dum-dum...Rocky, the greatest man in the land! Yo Adrien...

Anonymous said...

Hi Mick glad your enjoying yourself ,no change this week at work ,will update if any mega news the gang send their love .Have a brill time , they havent heard of the Ryther Arms in Philly then!! Haller not swum with the dolphins yet ,but enjoying himself. Love from all, Sue.x

Anonymous said...

wow, what a post! you sound like you're having a right old time.

what is with impatient women and trolleys of any kind?!

i can't run small steaks, especially when in america, make it big and make my plate full!!!

don't worry about your diet, this is a holiday and who cares, you have your whole life to shed the pounds!
xx