Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Is today the first day of the rest of my life

Today when I got to work I found out that I was going to be made redundant, my place of work is closing, it wasn't totally unexpected. I've actually worked at the same factory for 33 years I went there straight from school at 16 so it is a big part of me.

During the time I've worked at the plant I've moved from Apprentice Electrician through various promotions to "Site Electrical & Utilities Manager". I've also worked for six different companies that have owned the place.

Some people are leaving at the end of this week (I've got a leaving do to attend Friday), while others will go throughout October with a few staying to the end of November which is the planned date to have everything finished. In my job I'll probably be one of the last out the gate, hell someone has to flick the light switch.

With my service I'm luckier than most that I will get a very good redundancy payment so that is quite pleasing.

Another glimmer of light on the horizon is that somebody is trying to buy the site to make different products, I will know for sure this Friday I believe. If this happens they will want some of the workforce back but we'll have to wait and see what their contract offers.

Obviously I'm sad after spending so much of my life there but I'm also happy with the payment I'll recieve it will create opportunities to do new things in my life, possibly even more travelling.
I've a lot of thought process to go through before I decide what I want to do with the rest of my life, I've a few loose ideas but now I need a real plan.


Another thing I'm very upset about is that I've appeared to have upset and lost a very good blog friend, I think most of you will have worked out its Rachel and I'm gutted about it. I really hope she has a change of heart she is going through such a hard time in her life and I just want to be supportive.

8 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Hi Mick, nice to see you back.
Well they say every cloud has a silver lining, and I'm sure when you look back on whats happened at work, in say a year, it will all have been for the best. Good luck in any decisions you make anyway :)

Meow Meow said...

I hope the work situation works out for your best interest!

Again, I bet you're glad to be back in your own homestead!

I am going to give up on the J situation. WE didn;t do anything wrong. We called offered ideas and then when SHE stood us up...we went on about our evening. She is not going to make me feel an ounce of guilt over having a nice evening with a friend. I mean hell you travleled thousands of miles to meet her and she doesn't bother to show~

I'll stop, but I am a bit hurt by ALL of this *stuff* she is doing and saying. It really is a tad immature.

Suzy said...

It will be the first day of the rest of your life and great things will happen for you ;-)

TitanThirteen said...

I feel for you, that you are leaving your work after 33 years. That is a long time, and it makes up part of your identity.
But as the saying goes, When a door closes, another one opens. Perhaps you were ment for greater things :o)

As for Rachel, As long as you know you done everything right, Thats all that matters.
When we blog, people only see the sides of us that we want people to see. In reality there can be surprises such as this, that can't be predicted.
You had a great time with Meow MEOW, So concentrate on that for now.
You have been there for Rachel, and over time she may come 'round.
:o)

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I agree I think the work situation will be good for me, to be honest its been on the decline for a while and it was no longer a good place to work.
I'll still be there until end of November at the earliest I expect but should get a actual date soon.

Rebecca,
I'm very optimistic.

I can understand you been hurt but I'll email with the latest as I've exchanged emails with J.

Suzy,
I hope so.

Cactus,
It is a long time but to be fair I am not angry about it, they have been good to me.
As for Rachel, she has apologised and at present she doesn't have internet access, she has been going to the library to email.
We are communicating and hopfully things can be ironed out.
I did have a great time with Rebecca she is a good person to spend time with and I appreciated it. Hopfully we will meet again, New Orleans is a city I intend to visit sometime and is where Rebecca is from. If things work out we will probably meet up assuming Rebecca would want to, I'll need somebody to show me where all the best bars & Clubs are.

Anonymous said...

from San

hey Mick, just give Rachel space, i'm sure she just needs some time out

glad to hear you'll get a good payout and prob get another job by the sounds of things.

didn't know you were an electrician, there you go, learn something every day.

hope you're well
xx

Mick & Cathy said...

Thanks San as alwayays I appreciate your input, Rachel is important to me and things arecworking out, I'm daling with it.

I'll report later on the work situation.

Jenny said...

I am glad that you have such a good outlook on the end of your current job and whether you go back there with a different company or take some time off and find another position, you have the right attitude. Change can be good for the soul and you seem to be ready for it.