Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sunday Sport - No Surrender

Once again I'll dedicate the first part of my Sunday Sport article to my Football Club Leeds United and I am p****d off.
Its well documented our plight bottom of the 2nd flight of English Soccer and looking likely to drop into the third level the whole country is writing us off. Yesterday we lost 3-2 at home to Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Wednesday, at virtually every ground in the country supporters sang songs about our demise (nothing new here we know they all hate us).
I've just read so called supporters forums and it seems everybody wants to have their say and either slag us off or write us off.

I will point out before anyone jumps on the Hooligan Bandwagon the above report refers to a celebration party that got a little boisterious in 1990 when Leeds had gained promotion to the top flight. Don't dwell on the fact Bournemouth but if we go down the Yorkshire Army will be visiting you again, its good to know you love us.

It doesn't help when the asshole we have as Club captain Kevin Nicholls turns Judas and wants out, well done Wisey for dropping him yesterday, don't sell him you could let him rot in the reserves or more favourably hand him to the fans I'm sure they'll find somwhere to hang him in the Kop.

Yesterday when we trailed 3-0 (yes the players did show some spirit and pull two back), I was listening to the commentry on Radio Leeds and people were texting in most with negatives, some where obviously sad but a lot were pointing fingers of blame mainly at the current management. One even said he had drove by Elland Road and Billy's statue was crying. Well as a supporter it is now time to stand up and be counted "it isn't over till the Fat lady sings". First to the blame mongers if you want to blame anybody blame Peter Ridsdale/David O'Leary regime that yes gave us some glory but then left us bankrupt, this current regime is the reason we know exsist.

Don't blame Wisey, Blackwell did well for a period but it was very apparent in the last 10 games of last season he had a squad that wasn't good enough. He should have gone following the play off loss and given the new man time to re-build in the close season. Anyone who saw a match earlier in the season under Blackwell or looks at results will know why our goal difference is so bad. Wise has inherited some not good enough players who he is slowley weeding out, he has actually brought in the right sort of players (Flo, Thompson, Ankergren, Sa, etc) but our injury list is doing him no favours. Take Thompson scored in his first two games got injured, Flo scored in his first home game then broke his foot been two examples. We are also without Derry & Kelly at present through long term injuries (I think at the last count we had 8 out).

Anyway I'll point out the positives did anyone actually notice none of the other teams near the bottom won yesterday so why are they not been slagged off like us.

Did anyone comment it was the divisions bottom Club that had the largest home attendance yesterday, there certainly seems to be a bit of jealosy about. The last time we were bottom of this level was 1962 and we went unbeaten in our last nine games and stayed up. We had a young English Manager then called Don Revie and a red headed scotsman was about to become our greatest captain(I think I've already mentioned Billy's Statue) and the rest we'll say is history. Hell we've got ten games this time a young English Manager and we are about to appoint a new captain. And people say we don't have any hope well I'm sorry this is Leeds United and as our song goes we have our ups and downs.

5 comments:

Oral said...

You are quite the dedicated fan.

Hows about the blonde in the pic for ya???

Thanks for the joke. I found it to be quite entertaining!!!!!

airliebird58 said...

Well.
It has been one hell of a disappointing weekend for me sporting wise.
I watched the goals today for the Leeds game and 2 of the Sheffield Utd goals, well any team would have had trouble keeping them out. For some reason I like Wisey, he's conducted himself bloody well in public when you think what he's had to put up with. Although we are bottom, none of the others are pulling away. We still have a chance. Marching on Together!!!
PS you know why they hate us don't you? cos they know what a big club we are, and that they know we'll be back!

Meow Meow said...

Hey honey. I miss my football season. I have to wait MONTHS for it to happen again.

I hope you enjoy your sports for the both of us.

Mick & Cathy said...

Oral,
Yup dedicated fan I admit, soccer is a religion to many over here, our club means everthing.
The blonde is actually the lady who sculptured the statue, looks ok to me though.

Airliebird,
2007 hasn't started too well has it but as you say we are still in with a chance. The hatred of our club around the country seems to go back a long way I think that makes us stronger and more loyal.

Rebecca,
I love all my sports.

airliebird58 said...

It really is a hatred isn't it? People say they hate Man Yoo, but its nothing to the spite you read from other fans on forums and that. I must say though it makes us all stick together. There's quite a few Leeds fans come into my pub and we support each other lol.