Monday, March 26, 2007

Music Monday - North American Cities

Last week we named a number of songs that included the names of European Cities in there titles so this week its the turn of North American Cities.

I reckon there is quite a few but I'll start us off with the following selection :-

Streets of Philadelphia (Bruce Springsteen) - This song was wrote for the Film "Philadelphia" and made No2 in the UK, No9 US & No4 Australia in 1994.

The Night Chicago Died (Paper Lace) - No3 in the UK in 1973 this song is about a fictional shoot out between Al Capone and the cops. It does use the line "Daddy was a Cop on the East side of Chicago" but as far as I know Chicago has a North, South & West so he must have had a round in Lake Michegan

All the way from Memphis (Ian Hunter/Brian May) - The Mott the Hoople made No10 in the UK in 1974 and was covered by Brian May in 1998. Its about a guitarist that loses his instrument, here Mott lead singer Hunter teams up with May to play the song.

Is this the Way to Amarillo (Peter Kay/Tony Christie) - Wrote by Neil Sedakea this song was origionally released by Tony Christie in 1971. Comedian used it in his Phoenix Nights series in 2002 and his mimed version was released as a single in 2005 and made No1 in the UK.

So what Cities can you name ?

Which of these songs do you like ?

6 comments:

airliebird58 said...

The Peter Kaye 'Amarillo' video is a bit of comic genius I think, no matter how many times you see it it always raises a smile. Jim Bowen tickles me in it. :)
Ian Hunter and Brian May take me back to my teens, but you're right, that wasn't the best version of that song lol.

celtic_girl said...

The Night Chicago Died for me - a blast from the past!

Anonymous said...

Another one - Viva Las Vegas

Rachel said...

I like "The Night Chicago Died" too. "Viva Las Vegas" by the King - awesome.

I'm off to get more caffeine.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
I think Ian Hunter & Brian May must have been on the beer (or something stronger) before performing this one.

Celtic,
Definately a blast from the past.

PK,
I nearly posted that one.

Rachel,
Enjoy your caffeine

TitanThirteen said...

I dunno the difference between north American and south American cities. I don't even know what most cities go with most states!! lol