Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday Sport - A Busy Week

A lot has happend in the world of sport this week so I'll start with the Mighty Whites and their crucial relegation battle at Southend. The match finished all square at 1-1 when David Healy scored a cracking equaliser with only minutes to go. However the match ended in controversy when we were denied a penalty with seconds remaining. A cross from a Leeds player was blatently handled above his head by a Southend player and the ref pointed to the penalty spot, but then the linesman waved his flag saying it was a Leeds players hand that touched the ball. I've seen it on telly and how anyone can mix up a arm in a dark blue shirt against a arm in a white shirt is behond me, we were cheated. Leeds Manager Dennis Wise was then sent off for trying calmly to explain this to the ref.

Still bottom 7 matches to go but we are fighting.

I'll have to mention a few ex Leeds players scored yesterday including England Goalkeeper Paul Robinson for Tottenham against Watford, apparently a long clearance bounced straight of the Watford keepers head and into the net.
Airliebird won't forgive me if I don't mention her Rugby League heroes Hull FC kick started their season with a great 24-12 super league victory over reigning world champions St Helens. The win was sweet revenge for Hull who lost to their rivals in last seasons Grand Final.

France took the Rugby Union six nations championship on points difference over Ireland (both teams had 4 wins), it went right to the wire with France scoring against Scotland with virtually the last play to overtake Ireland on St Patricks day. Earlier Ireland had comprensively beaten Italy. England although finishing third had a day to forget losing to Wales, a very poor performance.

It wasn't all about sporting disaster for Ireland has yesterday their Cricketers produced one of the biggest shocks of world cup history beating one of the favorites Pakistan, well done Ireland.

It was a day of shocks as Bangladesh beat another of the fancied teams India.

England lost their opening match earlier in the week against New Zealand but should bounce back today by beating Canada.

I should also mention South African Herscelle Gibbs who hit an amazing 6 sixes in one over the first time this has been done in a World Cup match.

The new Grand Prix season in formula one got started with the Melbourne Grand Prix which was won by Finnish star Kiki Rakonnen driving for Ferrari. But what a great start for up and coming English superstar Lewis Hamilton who finished third in his first ever race.

8 comments:

celtic_girl said...

Great to see the Irish boys beat the Pakkies on St. Patrick's Day.

Hear me ROAR said...

Mick.. I actually keep a food diary :) My problem is not writing my munching down lol

Can't comment on the sports... I don't follow them lol

airliebird58 said...

I saw some highlights of the game this morning, Healy's goal was a corker, and if that wasn't a penalty I'm Raquel Welch!
Wisey told em though. Seems to me our management team get more red cards than the players! :)
What about old Freddie Flintoff getting stranded out to sea on a pedalo at 4am in the morning? The lad knows how to prepare for important world cup games and that's a fact!

airliebird58 said...

P.S.
Thanks for mentioning our famous win last night, and spreading the 'faith' a little :)

Meow Meow said...

A congrad goes out to Ireland. It was a well deserved victory~ Happy St. Patricks day to their land.

Your goal keeper is a cutie! I know your focus is elsewhere, but single gals are always looking...

My "thinking" surprise, showing up for J...well I have ALWAYS wanted to see Savannah. It's on the coast and my favorite chef has 2 dining establishments there. (Paula Deen). I would be going to shop, eat and if he works out then..I'll spend the night in a hotel room.

Meow Meow said...

P.S. Thanks for looking out for me. You are a SWEET guy.

Anonymous said...

i'm with celtic girl! it's quite fitting that they win.

hope you're feeling better today!
:-)

Mick & Cathy said...

Celtic/San,
I was pleased for the Irish on St Paddy's day, great win.

Hmr,
Write it all down, no excuses.

Airliebird,
That was a penalty some of the decisions we seem to get in big games are a disgrace, these people should be banned from reffing.
Apparently Flintoff has had a number of warnings, if that is correct he should be sent home to Lancashire and be replaced by a Yorkshireman.

Rebecca,
Thanks for calling me a Sweet guy that doesn't happen very often.
If you go to Savannah go with an open mind so you won't be dissapointed if it doesn't work out.