Monday, March 05, 2007

Music Monday - State Challenge

This week I'm setting a challenge to all of you that read my weekly Monday Music post.

On previous weeks I've played at least three songs which have the name of a US State in their title - Sweet Home Alabama (Lynard Skynard), Hotel California (Eagles) & Louisiana (Marcia Ball).
This has made me think how many great songs are there that contain the name of a US State in their title.

So my challenge to you is lets see how many more great songs with the names of States in their title can we name ?

Obviously the three I've already played and of course tonights four songs can't be named again :-

1. Georgia on my Mind - Ok someone is going to tell me this is a Ray Charles classic and I agree but my favorite version of the song is by the "First Lady of Song" Ella Fitzgerald. Ella was born in Virginia in 1017 and sadly died in 1996 aged 79years. I remember seeing a very good young lady singer perform this song when in Memphis in 2005 and blog friend Sandii's recent trip remind me of this performance and how good this song is.

2. Mississippi - This song was a UK No1 back in 1976 for a group called Pussycat. They were actually 3 Dutch sisters called Kowalczyk and thats about all I can tell you about them. Enjoy the performance anyway.

3. Sweet Virginia - This is one of the tracks from the Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street" Album. This is one of the top albums of all time and reached No1 in both the UK & US in 1972.
Rollling Stone named it number 3 in a poll to decide the best British Albums ever.

4. California Dreaming - This "Mama's and the Papa's" classic reached No4 in the US and No23 in the UK on its 1965 release, later it was re-released in the UK and reached No9 in 1997. It is well known from a certain beer commercial but a great song.
The M & P's were basically a Los Angeles Folk group made up of Denny Doherty, Cass Elliott, along with John & Michelle Phillips.
Trivia Fact - Mama Cass died died in a London Hotel Room of an heart attack caused by choking on a chicken bone in 1974. This turns out to be the same hotel room that The Who legendary drummer Keith Moon died 4 years later.

Enjoy these songs and don't forget to tell me which you like ?

18 comments:

Meow Meow said...

You will have me pondering this afternoon. I shall try to get back to you!

Meow Meow said...

'Down in Mississippi and up to no good" by Sugarland....

I'll keep thinking

Meow Meow said...

Detroit Rock City--KISS

"Louisiana Woman Mississippi Man"

"Ain't that America"

"Only in AMerica" Brooks and Dunn

'All my ex's live in Texas"
George Strait

airliebird58 said...

'New York State of mind' Billy Joel
'California Girls' Beach Boys
'Streets of Philadelphia' Bruce Springsteen.

Unknown said...

If you're Gonna Play in Texas, You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band - Alabama

Anonymous said...

Alabama Whiskey Song - The Doors

And reading some of the other suggestions I think a geography lesson is required.
Rebecca - "Detroit" is not a state neither is "America".
Airliebird58 - "Philadelphia" is a City in Pensylvania great song though.

Love the Stones song you posted sheer class.

TitanThirteen said...

I have a link that you MUST check out! I spent 1/2 an hour trying to find this site, so you better at least look at it!
It is for a sport related commercial. And as soon as i saw it, i thought of you [Aaawww]
When you watch it, we are seeing alternative 3 on the tele. I hadn't seen the other 3 before seeing the page.
http://www.intelligentmolecules.
com.au/home/default.aspx

TitanThirteen said...

Dunno about the songs.

TitanThirteen said...

One of my fav all time songs is from KISS - New York Groove. Gee i love that song! I have to go and listen to it now.....

celtic_girl said...

I'm hopeless at remembering names of songs I can add some oldies

New York, New York
Banks of the Old Ohio
Does the Hawaii Five O theme count?? lol If not, book him Danno!

celtic_girl said...

Oh, and I liked California Dreaming by the Mamas & Papas

airliebird58 said...

Thanks for the Geography lesson Mr K. Never been one of my strong points and being English, well, I'm not all that up to speed with US states :)

airliebird58 said...

PS: I go for Ella. If you was trying to explain to someone the term 'God given talent' Ms Fitzgerald would be a fine example.

Mick & Cathy said...

Some great suggestions my friends.

Well done Mr Kersey spotting the geographical errors, like you that is one of my better subjects.
Also like you I am very poor at spelling but I don't think there is an "E" in Whisky.
And I hope me pointing this out hasn't upset you because I know by your name you are the type of person who likes to get his revenge.

Suzy said...

This is a bit hard for me!!!

I'm not too good with Geography.
"Kentucky Rain"

Mick & Cathy said...

Suzy,
You've done well with the geography (and music) with that one.

Jenny said...

Well, from my state of Colorado, we have Rocky Mountain High, Colorado by John Denver (that should get two points because his name is our state capital!). John Denver also does Take me home Country roads which is about West Virginia.

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Two points I never give two points.