Monday, March 12, 2007

Music Monday - Love is in the Air

This week my blog friend Rebecca posted her three favorite love songs, a number of her friends also mentioned the one's they liked but I said I'll post mine today on my music monday post.
Some of the songs mentioned on Rebeccas blog are really good and will take some beating, I like the Whitney Houston one a lot and maybe I should have added it here, but I haven't.

I will also point out I would normally put "Angie" by the Rolling Stones on this list but I posted that classic a few weeks ago.

While I'm on I know a few of my blog friends are having a rough time with their love lifes at present so I'll dedicate these songs for you ladies.

Everything You Do (Bryan Adams) - The theme song for the Film "Robin Hood (Prince of thieves)" was a fantastic hit for this Canadian rocker (english parents though). It topped the charts in numerous countries for many weeks on its 1991 release, UK 16 weeks, US 7 weeks, Canada 39 weeks, Holland 11 weeks, Australia 11 weeks, Sweden 11 weeks to name a few, great hit.

She (Declan Patrick McManus) - This song is on the soundtrack for the 1999 Film "Notting Hill" and it is a great version of of the Charles Aznavour 1974 UK No1.
Obviously you have all realised Mr McManus is better known as the English Rock Star Elvis Costello.

You Do Something to Me (Paul Weller) - I'm a big fan of the "Modfather" from his day's with "The Jam" , "The Style Council" plus his solo career. Throughout his 30 years at the top of British songwriting he hasn't wrote many love songs but this is a classic. It was taken from his superb 1995 solo album "Stanley Road" and reached No 9 in the UK chart as a single.
He does a piano (shown below) and guitar version and are both fantastic versions.

First Time Ever I saw Your Face (Celine Dion) - Ok this 2000 UK No19 hit is a cover version of a Roberta Flack 1974 classic (US No1 & UK No14). A lot of people covered this song including - Elvis Presley, George Michael, Johnny Cash, The Stereophonics, etc.
Although Canadian Miss Dion actually came to notice in 1988 when she won the Eurovision Song Contest for Switzerland, don't ask me to explain I can't.

And for a bit of fun you must remember this Classic :-
Jilted John (Jilted John) - John was actually a bit time actor who had a lucky escape when featuring in a couple of episodes of "Coronation Street", christ he nearly dated Gail.
Oh and yes "Gordon is a Moron", poor John.

Enjoy these my friends, pity I haven't got a good singing voice cos I know I'd love to sing these to some of you.

Hope you love em.

9 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, my favorite is the First time ever I saw your face, although I like the Roberta flack version much better.

celtic_girl said...

I got goose bumps as I was listening to "She".My all time favourite is Something(in the way she moves) by the Beatles.

Anonymous said...

All great songs these but I'm a big Paul Weller fan also so I'll say thats my favorite.

Haven't heard the Jilted John song for years thanks for the laugh.

airliebird58 said...

I'll have to go for Jilted John, as you can see I'm an old romantic at heart. ;)
There are 2 songs that remind me of my husband, one is 'Dont you forget about me' by Simple Minds, and 'God only knows' by the Beach Boys. That's as romantic as I get! :)

Rachel said...

forgot about the celine dion song - good choice!!

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
It was a toss of a coin whether to post the Roberta Flack or Celine Dion version. I actually quite like the one by the Stereophonics but couldn't find it on Youtube.

Celtic,
I think this version of She is fantastic.
Something is a great song.

PK,
Weller has wrote and performed some superb songs, this is amongst them. My Favorite Weller solo song is probably "Wild Wood" though.

Airliebird,
Old Romantic ha-ha.

Rach,
Glad I found one you like.

TitanThirteen said...

I'm sorry WRB, but i'm not much of a romantic. When my husband does something romantic, i really appreciate the sentiment and he'll probably get an extra shag out of it, but i'm not one for smut, y'know?

I'm a big fan of Roberta flack so i'm biast....toward Roberta Flack.

Didn't like that "She" much.

And even though Bryan Addams song is nice, it sounds like one big grovel!

Nah. You can keep all 3 of these songs :o)

Mick & Cathy said...

Cactus,
Not romantic I'm surprised at you.

Anonymous said...

Weller!!! Although that version of "she" is good, i like that alot!

Rich