Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Not Happy

Today I'm not in a happy mood in fact I am totally p****d off with what happend at work. I feel like somebody who won the lottery and lost the ticket.

As most of my regular readers know we are closing a production line at work with around 100 people becoming redundant.

When the list of jobs to be retained was issued a few weeks ago my job was on it. However our management followed this up with a pool of potential candidates for each job. They then proceeded asking each person in the pool if they were interested in staying or alternatevely they could request consideration for redundancy. To be honest I thought it was like asking me to apply for my own job but although I thought that wrong I wasn't too bothered.

Anyway for my job the Pool consisted of myself and my current assistant "S". He's good at his job and I'm sure he is well capable of doing the job, he also had options of going on shifts but that is a loss of money for him.

I've been there a long time and the redundancy package was very attractive so I made the decision to ask to leave. When I say the package was attractive I am talking in the region of two years salary a large chunk of it tax free. I actually fancied trying something new in my life and this was going to provide the opportunity."S" hasn't been there long so and with a young family really needed to stay in work so put his name up for both jobs.

I assumed I would be allowed to leave, maybe get a few months work helping with the de-commision of the old plant and pass on training for "S".

Today I was called into the Plant Managers office to be told they are not accepting my request for redundancy. I am angry, why on earth did they have the stupid Pool in the first place ? Why wasn't I just told my job isn't going to be one of the redundancy's ?

5 comments:

airliebird58 said...

Mmm, all very strange isn't it? I would imagine its like all folk who are 'in charge' the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing! I can see why you're well ticked off!
What will happen to your assistant 'S'? Will his job be safe too?

Jenny said...

I guess you could be flattered that they think so highly of you, but I agree, there is something about the whole situation that just seems wrong. Almost like they would rather keep you on, make you miserable to quit and then they won't owe you the redundancy package!

Oral said...

Sorry for your disappointment. It does sound a bit confusion. Why the hell give you the "OPTION" if they are making a decision for you?

Good luck.

celtic_girl said...

I understand your disappointment and frustration. They also do this to put out feelers to see who wants to go and who wants to stay, usually they are relunctant to let go off the workers they want to keep and also those that will cost them alot to leave.Maybe this is a good time to be firm and tell them if they want you to stay so bad a payrise would soften the blow.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
"S" should get one of the shift jobs and hopfully be paid some extra to deputise for me when I'm not there, I need my vacations.

Jenny,
Quiting is not really an option at present, I couldn't really afford to go without the redundancy package and I've a lot tied up in the company pension scheme.
I not so sure its they think highly of me maybe just toolk the easy option.

Oral,
Thats the question I'm asking. If they had told me redundancy wasn't an option I would have been happy with that and not worked out my figures.

Celtic,
I've now a pay review in April and I think I've got a decent case for a big rise. I won't hold my breath though.