Thursday, July 13, 2006

Vacation Top Five Lists

I've come up with these lists from my vacation during the last two weeks :-

Biggest Plonkers -

1st - The idiot with the 21st birthday group that tried to pick a fight with me and two friends I had made in "Beale on Broadway" in St Louis. He accused one of the chaps I was with of staring at his girlfriend when they actually were stood directly in front of the Blues Singer we were trying to watch.

2nd - Despite me wearing an England shirt and having an Yorkshire accent a fool on the Chicago Tribune stall at the Taste promised to deliver their paper on 3 occasions for 50cents, it was only when he started to fill the form in with my address he realised the error of his ways.

3rd - Big Headed St Louis Cardinals Supporter in packed Hotel Bar following match demanding he be served first calling the barman "a Mexican son of a bitch". No prizes for guessing who got served last everytime he went to the bar.

4th - The loony on the Abbey Pub stall at the Taste of Chicago whom I asked what type of fish they were serving (I like cod but not catfish). He insisted it was neither of those it was called "Battered".

5th - Got to go to United Airlines for letting me stand by a carosel for over an hour at St Louis airport waiting for my luggage. Apparently they had sent it on an earlier flight and had it in their office.


Best Service Staff :-

1st - I'll go for Teresa & Phil in Fado Pub in Chicago she is so cute and I love her sexy Irish accent and he is just a solid lad. They both always makes me feel welcome on my visits to the City.

2nd - Barmaids Michelle and friend (I can't remember her name) in "Beale on Broadway" in St Louis, really friendly and loved the way they told some arrogant Cardinals supporters who wanted the Television on to "F**k off this is a music bar not a sports bar".

3rd - Servers in "Show Me" on Lacledes Landing, St louis all with large breasts, tight shorts and skimpy vests (great uniform) and they insist on leaning forward when asking what I wanted and not leaving much to my imagination. It took me ages to choose as I couldn't concentrate.

4th - Room staff at "Palmer House Hilton, Chicago " just so friendly and polite.

5th - Hungarian waitress in Bewleys Hotel Mancheser Airport, so keen to help and a great smile. (see 2nd on next list)


Worst Service Staff :-

1st - Miserable dark haired bitch working behind bar in Kingston Mines Club, Chicago. It seemed an effort for her to pull a beer (the other girl was ok).

2nd - Some of the other staff a Bewleys Hotel Manchester Airport, so full of their own importance.

3rd - Bar Man in "The Big Bang" dueling piano bar on lacledes landing (grumpy b*****d).

4th - Bar maid in bar on Lacledes Landing, can't remember bar name but it advertises a New Orleans type atmosphere. She couldn't even be bothered to take her coat off and was more interested in eating a pizza than serving.

5th - Girl serving at Blue Chicago she just didn't know how to smile (I think she was a temporary from elsewhere).


Best things visited :-

1st - Taste of Chicago (more than once).

2nd - Forest Park St Louis, Great Place to spend the day, report and photos to follow.

3rd - Gateway Arch, St Louis, Impressive structure.

4th - Navy Pier, Chicago, I always love this place.

5th - Union Station, St Louis nice shopping centre.

To be fair to Chicago I didn't visit too many tourist attractions on this visit as I have seen them before. Some would be on this list it is an awesome city.

Things I should have done on this vacation but didn't :-

1st - Hired a bike for the day in Chicago and gone north along the lake path.

2nd - Visited the Soulard District in St Louis, apparently the nightlife is supposed to be good in this area. A bit tight here, couldn't get there on public transport and wouldn't pay for a taxi.

3rd - Visited the Green Mill Jazz Club in Chicago, I did intend to but other things cropped up and plans changed.

4th - Took in a baseball match, in all my visits to the states I still have not been to one and I had chance of a ticket for the Cardinals.

5th - Watched England win the world cup, apparently there was something wrong with the televisions in St Louis and they lost to Portugal on Penalties.

People I met that I knew previously :-

1st - Graham, works at same place as me plays Pool on a Monday with me and he arrived in Chicago the Thursday before I left. He is there because his Girlfriend is working and living in the City. We had pre-arranged our meeting and visited the Taste.

2nd - Regina, Blogging friend agreed to perform some of her songs while I was in the City. I wouldn't have missed that for anything, thanks Regina it was good.

3rd - Jeff, manager/owner of Andy's Jazz Club always welcomes me, the free entry I get when he is there is nice of him.

4th - Got to mention the cute Teresa in Fado's again.

5th - Sorry thats it.

13 comments:

Jenny said...

You sure do meet some interesting characters on your travels! All in all sounds like a really fun trip and lots of great memories, although I bet you are glad to be back home in your own place!

Lynn Dombrowski said...

Wow, That's sounded like a very action packed vacation.

I'd agree with Jenny though, I love vacations but I love being home after all of the hectic traveling as well.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Cheers on England winning the world cup.

Joel said...

next time you should make a point to catch a baseball game.

airliebird58 said...

You seem to have fitted in a lot of stuff on your travels there. I saw a couple of thread there though, Are all Cardinals fans dopes? and how many bars did you actually visit?? :)

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Your correct about been glad to be home but still looking forward to my next trip. I am currently checking out prices.
Meeting people is one of my interests.

Lynn,
My vacations usually are action packed.
I think you read the line about England and the World cup wrong, winning was only the plan.

dc,
I agree I keep intending to but things keep cropping up.

Airliebird,
I've met Baseball fans from all over the US and most are great fun, but I found Cardinals fans very arrogant, they just had a we are superior to everyone else attitude. If I say they reminded me of the prawn sandwich brigade from over the Penines you will understand what I mean.

Rachel said...

Sounds like you had so much fun! Who knew Chicago, a city full of Yankees, could be so much fun;) Loved the "tagged" comments - hmm, how many credit cards ARE in the wallet?!

Modigliani said...

Loved this recap of all your vacation highlights (good and bad). I also enjoyed your pictures, too. The photo of the Gateway Arch is lovely!

TitanThirteen said...

Don't think i want to be visiting Chicago now lol

Rachel said...

Crazy one, ey? Yeah, I am crazy. Remember, anybody can be normal! We could do lunch but that'd be a heck of a commute on your part;) Lord knows where I'd wind up - I can't cross the street without my invisible blonde roots acting up.

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
Just the one credit card, you should try Chicago especially during the Taste its full of crazy people you would love it.
You never know our paths may cross one day then Lunch can happen, that would be great, I love crazy people.

Mick & Cathy said...

Mo,
Gateway Arch is an awesome structure, my hotel room looked straight across to it.

Cactus,
Don't be put off visiting Chicago its a great city with loads of nice people, thats why I keep going back.

airliebird58 said...

Aren't the 'Red Gerbils' affiliated to a baseball side business wise? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
You are correct they used to be, I think it was New York Yankees, so I don't like then either.

Never been to a baseball match but already hate Cardinals and Yankees, the rest seem ok though.