Friday, July 28, 2006

The Leeds United Story (as I see it) - The Early Years

I think a lot of my blog readers will realise how much I love my Soccer team Leeds United, but maybe some may not fully understand my passion I feel, this is a cradle to the grave thing, there is no changing through the good or bad times.

Well its my duty as a true fan to convince you all that this should be your favorite English Club I'm sure I will get some help from at least one of my blog friends "Airliebird" a true Yorkshire lass. I will warn you supporting this Club as more ups and downs than a yo-yo.

With just over a week to go to the start of our league season I am intending to tell the Leeds United story in my words over a number of articles. It will be about Love, Hate, Successes, losses, bent refs, violence, brilliant players, bad luck, great fans, controvesy's etc.

Anyway to set the scene I will start with an History lesson :-

The Early Years

Leeds United were formed in 1919 in controversial circumstances after Leeds City were banned from Football for making illegal payments to players.
For the next forty plus years as far as Soccer goes Leeds were insignificant spending most of this time in the lower divisions of the English league.

Then in the early sixties Don Revie (see photo) arrived as manager with the club struggling at the foot of the 2nd division.Don made the decision to change the traditional Blue kit to the famous all white mirroring Europes most famous club Real Madrid. Revie boasted one day this club will emulate Madrid and be Champions of Europe. Many saw this as a show of arrogance for such a little club and the hatred of Leeds Utd from all but our own had begun.

But with a team of unknown young players Revies team gained promotion to the top flight and reached their first final within two years. Although they lost the 1965 FA cup final to the more established Liverpool after extra time they showed enough to make the football world look up.

Tomorrow - The Glory Years

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay, I'm game to support your favorite team if you agree to be a University of Alabama football fan! You realize - I'll have to send you a shirt which you must wear proudly anytime between September and November...

Mick & Cathy said...

Yes that seems a fair deal (please don't tell me they play in red).

And the rest of the rules I send you a Leeds Shirt and we both display photo's on our blogs.

airliebird58 said...

What a smashing old team pic that is. I hope you don't mind if I pinch it lol.
I think I may have mentioned b4 that I've always believed that a team picks you, you don't pick the team. I wrote on my blog a while ago that I fell in love with Norman Hunter when I was about 13, and thats where it all began for me. (Actually, I still have a soft spot for Norman to this day :))

Mick & Cathy said...

Airliebird,
Check out the Leeds Fans Website (link from my blog). Look in the Gallery section there are some awesome photo's, its where I get a lot of mine from.

Rachel said...

Cool deal. They play in Crimson but our away jerseys are white and actually they've added a line of shirts now that are grey and black. I'll look around and see what I can find. Everything goes on sale soon cuz of the back to school push for sales over here! Must get coffee - I try to get up early and go without it. Why? I don't know either.

Jenny said...

Hey, what have you got against Red? My Red Sox have had quite the troubled history, but you are right, when you love your team, you stick with them through thick and thin!

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
Don't count out the possibility of avoiding paying the postage.
Don't assume Toronto will be my last vacation this year.

And a question - Tell me all about Atlanta ?

Jenny,
Sorry about the red bias nothing personal, its not your fault you play in the same colours as the vermin from over the Pennines.
For the record I only hate two baseball teams Cardinals (because their fans are posers) and Yankees (because they had a marketing deal with the Vermin).
While were on the subject of American sports teams Tamba Bay Buccaneers can be added to the list (same owners as you know who)