Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Chicago just Good Food & Music this time.

Ok after 8 days in Chicago during the Taste Festival I expected to put on weight so I got on my bathroom scale and was delighted to find I had lost an incredible 50lb. This delight was short lived however as I got off the scale to find it not moving, it is jammed.

Anyway I knew my clothes are tighter so I got weighed at work today to find out the damage, result an 8.5lb increase. Weight prior to holiday 224lb and today 232.5lb but it was worth it but now back to the hard work.

Anyway this visit was about enjoyment and the music was awesome, I saw so many great acts I can't even remember most of their names but here is some that stood out.


One of my songwriting idols Ray Davies (former Kinks front man) appeared as the star act on independance day (one up for the English). First time I have ever seen Ray live I really enjoyed his performance which was a mix of stuff off his recent album (check out No8 my music post dated 19th June) and some Kinks classics.

Another highlight of my trip was a visit to North Chicago to the "Red Line Tap" on Thursday to see fellow blogger Regina sing, she has an awesome voice. I took some photo's but I will leave it up to Regina if she wants to post any of them on her blog. Regina

The music was varied and although I'm not a massive country fan this group "Janesville" where really good entertainment. Janesville

Another group that were entertaining "Underwater People" who played some of their own stuff mixed with Pop classics. Underwater People

These "Funk Du Jour" played a lot of 70's classics ans surprisingly I remembered them all (must be getting old). Funk Du Jour

Ok my eating drinking and listening to great music wasn't only limited to during the day I visited a number of great pubs & clubs while in town including :-

Fado

Kingston Mines

Andy's

Blue Chicago

Believe me if you love music food and having a good time pencil in a visit to next years Taste of Chicago Festival, I will be (hopfully see you all there ?).

Taste of Chicago

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like so much fun! Don't worry about the 8 pounds, they'll come off soon enough. Love the photos, too. Thanks for sharing!

ArleneWKW said...

Funny about the 50 pound weight loss. Re. the music festival, leave it to someone "across the pond" to find the cool things in the U.S. Something for me to consider. Glad you had fun.

Jenny said...

We have a Fado's in Denver, and it is a really cool place. I just love a good irish pub! Sounds like Chicago was a rocking good time!

Mick & Cathy said...

Rachel,
It was so much fun but its impossible to watch your weight at a food festival. Your right the lbs should start to drop off now I'm in my normal schedule.

Arlene,
If ever you do get chance to visit I'm sure you would have fun. The festival goes on for about 10 days and there are numerous food stalls where you can try "taste" portions of specialities of any type of food you can think of.
The music which is going on on a number of stages is varied with all styles catered for.
Even without the festival Chicago is a great tourist destination with parks, museums, beaches, a great pier, good restarants, etc.

Jenny,
I love the friendly atmosphere of the Irish Pubs. Your right I can't say enough good things about Chicago. Anyone who can't find something they like in this city is sad.

Kristine,
Your right for a few moments it was the best scale I ever had.

Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.