Monday, July 17, 2006

10 reasons losing weight is hard for me ?

The answers are simple just Food and drink in particular my addictions that I must fight to avoid the following :-

1. Fish & Chips - Now in Yorkshire these are a tradition, not sat in a snotty restaurant with a plate but eating them out of newspaper smothered in salt and vinegar. Best place in the world for this is probably sat on a wall looking at the harbour in one of our great Yorkshire coastal towns (Whitby, Scarborough, Bridlington, etc) . For info for my American blog friends the Fish is Cod or Haddock and to you Chips are Fries (what you call chips we call crisps).

2. John Smiths - This great Tadcaster Brewery produces the greatest Beer in the world, 3 options here Hand Pulled Yorkshire Bitter, Extra Smooth or Extra Cold. What the rest of the world call beer is not in the same league.

3. Full English Breakfast - Ok I cheat here, I am not a lover of fried eggs but the rest of it is so tasty, rashers of Bacon, Pork Sausages, Fried Bread, Black pudding, Hash Browns, Baked Beans (Heinz), Fried Tomato, etc.

4. Yorkshire Pudding - Our traditional food can be had in either the Giant form stuffed with Beef and vegetables in an onion gravy or in smaller sizes with our traditional Roast Beef Sunday Lunch. Some people have them as a starter covered in treacle but not me.

5. Ice Cream - Now I love Ice Cream (all flavours) but there is not an ice cream I have found anywhere in the world that is a patch on "Doubtfires". This is made locally and is so unbelievable it spoils all other ice creams for ever. I challenge anyone who has ever tried it to walk past a Doubtfires Van and not buy one.

6. Cheesecake - I just find it so difficult not to have dessert in a restaurant if they have Cheesecake on the menu. The topping is irrelevant I like them all but I am prone to strawberry.

7. Chocolate - Ok I am a Chocoholic and I fight hard to avoid it, but once it is offered and I get the taste I just can't stop eating. The best of course is the "Yorkie Bar" but don't offer me a Terry's Chocolate Orange (both origionally made in York surprisingly enough).

8. Cheese - I love all the cheeses from around the world, not yet found one I don't like. If I fancy a snack its Cheese Sandwich or Cheese & Biscuits or Cheese & Cake. There is always cheese in the fridge.

9. Fizzy Drinks - Always liked the old teeth rotting sugar fuelled drinks usually Coke, Pepsi or Lemonade. Recently I've made an effort in going for the diet versions instead of the full fat offerings.

10. Growlers (Pork Pies) - We have a Butchers near us that makes the most awesome Pork Pies they are amazing. "Who ate all the pies ?" sorry guilty as charged.

Ok so what am I going to do about it, well its all out war (ok I may lose the occasional battle) I will fight my cravings until I win.

Yesterday morning I have gone through my over full wardrobe and everything which is on the slightly large (comfortable) size as gone to the charity shop. Only stuff hung in my wardrobe now just fits or is too tight, so I must now win.

9 comments:

Joel said...

my weight lose problem can be traced back to a lack of motivation mixed with fried foods, and well, more fried foods.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the chuckle - still crazy, ey? Well, that IS true, no sense in my trying to argue - I'd lose. At least that's what the voices tell me;)

Hear me ROAR said...

Hey there Mick, thanks for commenting on my blog.

I LOVE Fish and Chips... The real thing from the UK must be hard to turn away.
I was in England once when I was 9.. I remember those crisps.. yummm

Jenny said...

mmm, I love Yorkshire puds. They are so yummy to sop up the meat juices with... I am salivating just thinking about it!

Modigliani said...

We have a real English pub here in San Diego. I think it's called Shakespeare's Pub. And I've had fish and chips there - oh, they are delicious! And the waitress even had an English accent! I can see why it's hard to resist if you are living right in the heart of all that good food.

And funny, because so many people say there really isn't much to English food. That surprises me.

Best of luck on resisting all the temptation. I'm weak for chocolate, too. If I go for that first bite, I'm a gonner. I just can't stop after that. But not having any clothes to fit is a big motivator, isn't it?!

Do you plan on including any exercise in this plan, btw? Just curious.

Mick & Cathy said...

DC, Yeh I know the motivation problem well.

Rachel, Crazy but at least one Yorkshireman thinks you are cute.

hmr, Yes they are hard to turn away.

Jenny, Yummy is a good description.

Mo, An English Pub maybe I'll visit San Diego one day. Exercise yes I will do a separate blog article on my plan.

Kristine, Cheese yes a definate weakness of mine also. Beer I am currently limit myself to one night out per week (usually Monday when I play Pool), I don't drink at home. This is compared with drinking everyday on vacation.

airliebird58 said...

I love food, and its not very easy to keep clear of all the fattening stuff, why is it all so nice?? A little joke from the Boss upstairs methinks.

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

I reached my springtime 122-pound goal. Know how? I didn't add more exercise, but the one thing that was critical was keeping a food diary. Start by not changing a thing about your usual eating and snacking and just write down everything (food and drink) that goes into your mouth for about a week. Just document it. After that you can start thinking about adjusting what you eat, but first just write it down. Take a look at this article this article for further instruction.

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»