Monday, December 17, 2007

Music Monday - Legends "Keith Moon"

Well now my alphabet challenge is complete I need to do something for my Monday Music Post and I'm sure some of you who are regular readers of my music post will appreciate this one.

Well I'm going to start a "Tribute to music legends" post, true legends, yes those that are no longer with us. I'm going to start tonight with a man who many rate as one of the greatest Drummers the World has seen "Keith Moon". "Keith Moon" - Born in in 1946 Keith John Moon sadly passed away at the age of 32 in 1972 after overdosing on drugs he had been prescibed for his Alcohol addiction. On the night of his death he spent the evening having a meal as a guest of Paul & Linda McCartney at the film preview "THe Buddy Holly Story".
Above "The Last Supper".

Moon was the Origional Wild Man of Rock and was effectionally nicknamed "Moon the Loon", he was as crazy as he was brilliant. As a child he failed his 11 plus and lacked the ability to pay attention, some of his school reports called him retarded. His music teacher was the only person to recognise his undoubted talent.At 17 years old Moon was invited to join Roger Daltry, Pete Townsend & John Entwistle in a Mod Band called "The High Numbers" later to become houshold names and one of Britains greates groups "The Who".



Moon was a destructive person and it certainly wasn't unusual to see him trash his Drum kit at the end of shows. Although he spent all his music Career with the who he actually did play the instrument for many famous musicians, including on the famous Jeff Beck instrumental classic "Becks Bolero" others on that recording include Led Zepplins Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones.


Moon also played in a few Film Roles, playing Uncle Ernie in The Who's classic Rock Operas "Tommy" & "Quadrophenia". Another film he played in was "That'll be the Day" with long time friend Ringo Starr and David Essex. Moon played the resident drummer in the holiday camp.

As a tribute to Keith Moon the middle room at the London Astoria is named in his honour.


Here is another tribute to Keith, enjoy my friends :-





RIP Keith

I hope you all enjoy this post and I'm sure you all have your own ideas of some legends I maybe could post about in future posts.

8 comments:

Meow Meow said...

Personally, I am a fan of Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix. Those are two I would have loved to have seen a live performance..

Enjoyed what I read. You really do have quite a bit of knowledge, music wise!!!!

airliebird58 said...

Well one thing you notice when you see old films of the Who, is how Keith Moon used to put everything into playing those drums!
They play the Who's 'Baba O'Riley' before Hull FC run out for a home game. Ah I can link the lads to anything lol.

celtic_girl said...

Thanks for posting this, I enjoy reading the history and behind the scenes trivia.

Jenny said...

Fascinating info, as always Mick. I must admit, that my knowledge of 70s music is sorely lacking, most likely because I am a product of 80s music, but I learn so much from your music mondays. Keep em coming!

Mick & Cathy said...

Rebecca,
Jim Morrison is one I'm preparing for a few weeks time, you'll have to wait for that one.

Airliebird,
I find I can even watch Keith Moon without the sound he is so entertaining to watch with some of his expressions.

Celtic,
Glad you enjoyed it, I quite enjoy researching some of these great musicians. Its a facinating subject when dealing with real life stories.

Jenny,
Technically the Who are recognised as a sixties group and I'm a seventies boy. However as I've got older my music taste as spread and covers a far greater range from all eras. I find some of the sixties groups really fascinating, they certainly paved the way for the many that have followed.

Moby Dick said...

I thought Keith Moon died in 1978? I remember seeing the news. Roger Daltrey says that the next project in his life is getting a bio movie done of Keith Moon. Jack Black will be playing Moon? That would be a great choice!

Mick & Cathy said...

Ironside,
You are correct he did die in 1978 you spotted the typing error, still only 32 years old a great loss to music.
I reckon his life story would make a great film.

TitanThirteen said...

Never heard of him but he was pretty cute :o)