Saturday, December 22, 2007

First 24 hours of not having a job.

Yesterday I finished work and in a way it was sad but to be honest its dragged on that long I wasn't overly upset. In fact I'm sort of looking forward to a bit of a break, I've a few things I wanna do and I can do things in my own time.

I finished just before Lunch yesterday took my car home and one of my workmates Barry got his daughter to give us to a Pub/hotel. Its a new place in the area so we went to try the meals. Eight of us turned up so we had a lunch (I had Lamb), it was ok but I've had better. As a gesture the Plant Manager paid out of his own pocket which was good of him.

Following the meal and a few beers we made our way into town where we met up with a few other workmates for a farewell drink. A few were knocked back and I eventually made my way home early evening and crashed in front of the telly slightly intoxicated.

This morning I got up at 7.30am, although its weekend and I'd be off work anyway, I just seemed more relaxed about life, I suppose knowing the phone ain't gonna ring telling me "I'm wanted they have problems" is a big help.

I had some toast for breakfast and decided to have a steady walk into town as there was a couple of things I wanted. Now nipping up town and back, looking in a couple of shops usually takes me just over one hour.

This morning was different, don't know it was because I felt had all the time in the world but I just stopped talked to numerous people on my route, I was out nearly 3 hours.

First up I'd just left the house and I bumped into a neighbour John and we chatted for about 15 to 20 minutes before I moved on. Half way into town I crossed paths with Dave who was a Mechanic that left our works back in April with the first redundancies.

Got into town and in the first shop I met Lenny a bloke I used to play against at Tanble Tennis a few years back. Hes a good bloke and we chatted for awhile before going in different directions.
Next shop it was Mark our pool team captain who I had a short chat with before moving on.

Eventually I set off home only to come across Alan one of my Electricians who left to go to a new job about a month ago, so he was telling me about that and I told him what had been happening on site. Funnily while we were talking a Lady that I used to play Pool with (got to Mixed Doubles Final once) passed and said hello, ain't seen her for ages but she didn't hang about cos I was talking to Alan.

Finally I got on my way again to meet Dianne who was our HR Manager at work, she stayed to the end like me technically but wasn't there last week cos she was away on vacation. I asked her about how the holiday went and told her a few new updates from work. She's got a new job despite been offered work with the new owners. Eventually we gave each other a Christmas Hug and moved our seperate ways with me finally getting home.

Just had a bowl of soup for Lunch, didn't fancy anything else, had a check on my computor before putting the Radio on the listen to the Leeds Match. It sounded a good match Bristol had a go but the boys eventually got the all important goal to win 1-0 and move to third in the table. I did consider going to the match but my cough wouldn't cope with all the shouting.

After the match I did myself some Baccon, waffles, Tomatoes & Beans for my evening meal and now I'm blogging with a full stomach.

So this is what retirement is like ?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like a wonderfully fun and relaxing day!

celtic_girl said...

I'm sure it will feel different for a while,and will probably hit you more after Xmas, when you would usually return to work. It's good to catch up with old friends and acquaintanes.