Thursday, March 30, 2006

Memphis My Trip (follow up to my last post)








My previous report was the tale of one night in Memphis last September, this is my opinion of the rest of that trip.

I arrived at my Hotel (Comfort Inn, Downtown) about 6pm on the Thursday a little tired and hungry after almost 15hours travelling. The weather was hot and very humid. The hotel and staff were great and I wouldn't hesitate staying there again. Although I was travelling alone I was given a large room with two double beds. Exploring the hotel I found the swimming Pool on the roof with a great view of the Mississippi.

After a shower and change of clothes I asked at the desk if there was anywhere close I could grab a bite to eat. The girl suggested I caught the trolley which stopped close to the hotel down to Beale Street. I decided to walk as I had spent so much time seated on a aircraft. I though the walk was a litlle bit iffy as the only people about where street beggars, I wouldn't fancy this walk late at night.

When I arrived at Beale Street it was a hive of activity with live music everywhere. I was thinking of where to try for food when I walked passed a beer garden where a group was playing some great songs. I thought I would have a beer first listen to the group then go for a meal.
No sooner had I got served a group of people from near New Orleans asked me about my accent. Upon hearing I was English they befriended me and I spent the rest of the evening with them, the funny part was I could hardly understand their southern accent and they struggled with my Yorkshire talk. At an interval the singer with the group called Bill came over and chatted with us, people were friendly.

After 11pm I was very tired and decided to catch the trolly back to my hotel thinking it would be busy. When I got to the stop there was only me and a couple from Kansas they where nice and showed me where to get off for my hotel (I had drunk a fair bit). I then realised I had so much fun that I hadn't eaten so it was chocolate and biscuits from the hotel vending machine (my first Memphis meal).

The following morning I got up refreshed and after my hotel complementry breakfast I went for a walk along the banks of the river. I find walking is the best way to explore a city. It was quite deserted except for the odd jogger. I later that day found out that people don't leave Beale Street until the sun comes up and sleep all morning. In fact a typical Memphis day is sleep until midday, laze around the swimming pool all afternoon, Out all night partying, grap the odd BBQ rips in between these activities. I did my best for the rest of the time I was there to keep up with the locals.

Beale Street was great especially after dark when the police closed the road and you could walk from bar to bar with your beer. Music was everywhere, Blues, Rock, Jazz, Elvis, etc. I liked the idea of paying to get in one club entitled you to go in them all, they stapled a coloured band on your wrist.

Two of the best most entertaining acts I saw in Memphis was a lady Pianist/singer Marcia Ball who played in BBKings club on the Saturday and The Dempseys a rockabilly trio in Blues Cafe.

Check them out -

http://www.marciaball.com/

http://www.thedempseys.net/

While in Memphis I visited the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Hotel where Martin Luthor King was assasinated. It was very interesting.

I also visited the Rock and Soul Museum which told the story of the areas music history it was good.

I also spent one afternoon on Mud island where there is a scale model of the Mississippi that you can walk along, the entrance was close to my hotel.

Conclusion Memphis is a great place to visit for a long weekend if you like having fun, much longer you may get bored as there is not a lot to do or see during the day. I will definately visit again one day just for the music.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I've actually never been to Memphis, but it does sound like a place worth visiting. A lot of those southern cities are very friendly and have a great party atmosphere. Savannah, Georgia is like that, if you ever get a chance to stop by there.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your next trip across the pond. ;-)

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny,
Thanks I'll look up Savannah.

BF,
Get your vacation booked.