Monday, March 27, 2006

Memphis - I should have got her number




Last year while I was in Memphis this happend on the Sunday night.

I made my way to Beale Street about 6pm with the intention of getting a meal while it was quiet, then take in some live music and possibly meet some new people.
When I arrived I didn't feel ready to eat so I made the decision to go in "The Tap Room" which was the only place with no live music, my intention to see if any of the locals would play me at Pool. The place was virtually empty with the exception of two blokes on a Pool table and the pretty young girl serving behind the bar.
I got a beer from the girl, she told me she was bored, she had been working all day and finished soon. I was about to go ask the blokes if I could get a game of Pool when the Girl asked "Do you want to play with me ?". I replied why not assuming she played Pool. She climbed over the bar sat down at side of me and spun a VDU screen around. She wanted to play a computer game, I hate computer games but I obliged.
After a short while I was saved when another customer, a 32year old blond girl who was really attractive came in the bar and sat down at the bar. She looked totally out of place in that bar but we started chatting and I found out she was from Kansas and was in Memphis on business.
I stayed with her untill around 9pm when she said she was going back to her Hotel to catch up on some work ready for a meeting the morning. I wasn't too dissapointed I was starving (I did asked her earlier if she wanted to go for something to eat but she had already done so).
So I went and dined on my own at a restaurant called "Pig" which is actually quite good.
After my meal I thought I'll go into a club "Blues Hall" for some live music. As I went to the bar to get a drink the singer was taking a bucket around the audience for tips. He came up to me and I put a couple of dollars in his bucket and he asked where I was from, I replied Yorkshire, England, he announced this to the audience.
As I got to the bar a lady (40ish) said your from England so am I. We got in conversation, she was from Bournmouth at the opposite end of England to me. She told me she was recently divorced and had treated herself to this vacation. It was on an organised tour and she was moving on to Nashville the following morning.
We talked for ages and had a lot in common, in fact I spent the rest of the night with her, we had a good laugh.

Anyway here is the point, I don't normally swap details with people I meet on vacation.
Confession - The following day when this lady had moved on to Nashville I realised I really liked her a lot and was gutted I hadn't swapped details (I can't even remember her name).
My gut feeling is she was a potential "Perfect Ten" (see my post dated 8th March).
This was a total mistake on my part, I often wonder if she felt the same, I doubt it but will never know for sure.

8 comments:

Joel said...

Nothing is worse than not getting a number and later regreting it b/c than you end up building the person up in your mind and convincing yourself that you missed out on a 10... maybe you did, maybe you didn't- but you'll never know.
But at least next time you're in a situation like that you'll get her number!

Mick & Cathy said...

Dcnats - Perhaps I will get the number next time perhaps not. The doubt will always be there but this way I don't end up with a broken heart I just get mad with myself.

BF - Move on is bang on.

Jenny said...

Well, since you have a trip coming up, you will just have to keep your eyes open for another perfect ten to come across your view. I am a firm believe that there is more than just one perfect person for you. You'll find the right one, I'm sure.

Rachel said...

I love this post! I once met a guy when I worked in a store and he put his # on the charge slip and said "call me." But I was too shy back then to do it. I regretted it for quite some time. I should have called...sigh...

PFG said...

I did Memphis one year. It was great. I think the Tap Room was my first stop downtown, and it was dead then too! I've got some pictures somewhere....maybe I'll scan a few and post them on my blog. When I went, we stayed at a hotel across from graceland with 24 hour elvis movies and a guitar shaped swimming pool. It was hysterical!

Mick & Cathy said...

Jenny - Thanks for your words of encouragement. I will keep looking without doubt (and blogging about it).

Rachel - Been too shy is really frustrating at times. I think most people prefer slightly shy people than those that are too loud.
Confession I think I went through a period in my early teens when I was shy with girls.

pfg - Thanks for joining my blog and dig out them photos.

Regina Rodriguez-Martin said...

What do you mean "Perhaps I will get the number next time perhaps not." Did you learn nothing from this missed opportunity? Why would you make the same mistake twice??

You write, "The doubt will always be there but this way I don't end up with a broken heart I just get mad with myself." That's BETTER? Really?

Really??

And in response to wondering if people prefer slightly shy people or loud people, I prefer men who take some kind of action. AVOID REGRET NO MATTER WHAT.

Mick & Cathy said...

Regina,

You are right, I have learned and I'm sure I'll be getting the number next time.

By Loud people I mean those that talk only about themselves as though they are gods gift to the world and not people of action.